v1.3.0.4

Coordinator
May 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM

FYI

I just posted v1.3.0.4.  The only change with this one is some small code cleanup, deleting unused controls from the .Designer.cs module, and also adding one new UI feature: auto-hiding of the menustrip. 

It should be a nice "invisible" change - the menu disappears when you're not using it, making more real estate available for the app. Press ALT to make the menu appear.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I think it would be nice to add the ability to perform logicalexpressions, not just the search nodes.

For example
/ / my: View1/my: Membury = "User"

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM
You know that you can use Xpath, right? You can specify predicates on your node selections.

I don't know what you are intending with syntax like my:Membury="User", but look into XPath, it probably lets you do what you want.

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 07:59:29 -0700
Subject: Re: v1.3.0.4 [XPathVisualizer:258978]

I think it would be nice to add the ability to perform logicalexpressions, not just the search nodes.

For example
/ / my: View1/my: Membury = "User"
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (XPathVisualizer@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email XPathVisualizer@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM
Cheeso wrote:
You know that you can use Xpath, right? You can specify predicates on your node selections.

I don't know what you are intending with syntax like my:Membury="User", but look into XPath, it probably lets you do what you want.

I think it would be nice to add the ability to perform logicalexpressions, not just the search nodes.

For example
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (XPathVisualizer@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email XPathVisualizer@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

This simple expression is just an example. 

I mean the ability to test complex logical expressions. Now it turns out that this is impossible, because expression have to choose node. 

Maybe it's not such a common problem, but I often need to write complex conditions in a very large XML documents. And test them is not easy. 

And I thought that such a possibility would make the product even better. 

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM
> This simple expression is just an example.

> I mean the ability to test complex logical expressions

But I don't understand what you are describing. I don't understand what you intend to illustrate with my:Membury="User". What exactly is a "complex logical expression"? and why can xpath not accomodate your requirements?

A more detailed example might help clarify.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:19:19 -0700

Cheeso wrote:

For example
This simple expression is just an example.

I mean the ability to test complex logical expressions. Now it turns out that this is impossible, because expression have to choose node.

Maybe it's not such a common problem, but I often need to write complex conditions in a very large XML documents. And test them is not easy.

And I thought that such a possibility would make the product even better.
Jun 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well. Unfortunately, I can not publish the actual XML, but here's an example.

There is a XML: 

<TestSet> 
<Group> 
<Id> 1 </ Id> 
<Value> Xxx </ Value> 
<SubGroup> 
<Id> 1_1 </ Id> 
<Value> Yyy </ Value> 
</ SubGroup> 
</ Group> 
<Group> 
<Id> 2 </ Id> 
<Value> Zzz </ Value> 
<SubGroup> 
<Id> 2_1 </ Id> 
<Value> Ccc </ Value> 
</ SubGroup> 
<SubGroup> 
<Id> 2_2 </ Id> 
<Value> Xxx </ Value> 
</ SubGroup> 
</ Group> 
</ TestSet> 

The actual documents are much larger and more complex. 

To streamline the data I need to check whether a value in the group with ID = 1 and the value of the subgroup with ID = 2 in the group with ID = 2. 

To do this I need to evaluate the expression 

/ / Group [Id = 2] / SubGroup / Value = / / Group [Id = 1] / Valuev 

But it does not work, because does not choose any one node. 

Yes, in this simple case we can write: 

/ / Group [Id = 2] / SubGroup [Value = / / Group [Id = 1] / Value] 

And see whether that is selected either. 

But if the conditions are great in them is mixed many different nodes, then the expression changes markedly. 

It seemed logical to carry out such an expression.
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

It seems to me you are asking for something like "super xpath" and that is well beyond the scope of this tool.

I still don't understand your particular requirements for query or why xpath does not suffice. On the other hand I don't need to know more. Regardless of the details of your requirements, I cannot build "a more flexible XML query language" as part of this tool.  This is a small, tactical tool, and it is focused directly on xpath.   If you want something like xpath, but "better", you will have to make that request to someone else.  Maybe try the W3C.

Good luck!