Can you move the project scm to Mecurial?

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Cheeso,

Its easier to contribute multiple unrelated changes if you can commit, but I can understand how you would want to limit access to the repository switching to mecurial will allow anyone with a ccodeplex account to have their own fork.

It might  take you some time to get up to speed on Mecurial so I do understand if you would be hesitant to make the switch.

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

hi Zippy,

Why would I want to switch?

I don't understand this: "Its easier to contribute multiple unrelated changes if you can commit"

What problem am I solving if I were to switch repositories?

Right now I have 7 projects on codeplex; they all use TFS.  It seems to me mercurial is just a sideways change - it means I have to learn a new SCM system, figure out how it works with VS2010, figure out how it works from the command line, etc.  Why would I want to do this?  Is there something that you are having trouble with, using the existing TFS?

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Cheeso,

If you switch to mecurial, anyone with a codeplex account will be able to fork your repo with one click of a button.

So lets just say I want to port XPathVisualizer to Mono, but I also want to run fxstylecop on the code. Both are long lived multi-commit projects (well I could do either in two days if it wasn't for my pesky dayob, but I digress). I am not a member of the project, so I can't make a TFS branch. However, if the project was in mecurial. I could fork it, and make two branches in my fork. You could pull from either one when they are ready, and I could pull periodically from your main branch.

If I were to use TFS as a person with only read access I'd have all the changes in a bunch of uncommitted files in my checkout of your TFS tree.